We have been pleased to help ensure a clear process for making additions based on input from the local community.
This year we proposed five additions to the local list for Mitcham Cricket Green:
- Bramcote Court and Parade – a distinctive 1930s residential development in the “moderne” style
- The Canons walls and well – these impressive structures include examples from both the 18th and 19th century and have been identified as being highly significant in recent investigations of The Canons as part of the successful Lottery bid that we are centrally involved with
- Mitcham running track – the remnants of the cinder track on the former news of the World Sports Ground are the last vestige of a sporting heritage which included the training of Olympic athletes. Restoration of this track is part of the successful Lottery bid
- The Canons Lodge lamp stands – these are a distinctive addition to the Lodge which is already locally listed
- Gas lamp post – this elegant cast iron structure stands opposite The White Hart as a reminder of the days before electric street lamps and dates to the 1850s.
Four of these were accepted as additions to the Local List by a Council Meeting on 12 July. The Canon walls have been confirmed as being nationally listed.
If you have any thoughts on further structures that might be added to the Local List, please let us know.
Meanwhile, view the Local List here.