10.00am to 4.30pm Saturday 14 September 2019
Enjoy a day of experiences, visits, tours, exhibitions, and more at Mitcham Heritage Day, and discover just some of the great heritage our area has to offer.
There are refreshments at many venues.
Below are just some of the things you can do. Full details are on the downloadable programme including the location of each venue and the timing of guided walks and other events.
- Mitcham Cricket Green Community & Heritage is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Mitcham Cricket Green Conservations Area with the Golden Jubilee Guided Walk starting at 2.00 on the Cricket Green.
- Mary Tate Cottages – new this year – the Mayor of Merton will unveil a new garden ornament to commemorate the 190th anniversary of the cottages.
- Mitcham Golf Club – new this year – Exhibition about the history of the club, golfers dressed in historic and modern clothing, display of hickory clubs, access to locker rooms normally only open to members.
- Melanie’s Walk – new this year – 3-4 miles guided walk around the green spaces of Mitcham, to include a visit to Mitcham Cricket Club and the Canons.
- Mitcham Parish Church – bell chamber open (up a narrow spiral staircase), guided tours of churchyard, exhibition – From Green to Green an illustrated guide to sites of interest near Cricket Green and Fair Green, Mitcham, exhibition Memories of Mitcham a display combining images from the Merton Memories collection and extracts from the reminiscences of local people.
- Mitcham Cricket Club – pavilion open for free access. Cricket match celebrating the Centenary of the Mitcham CC Match against the Australian Imperial Forces Touring Team, guided boundary walk covering cricketing history of the Green.
- Mitcham Bowling Club – pavilion open, try your hand at bowling, support the club in a match in the afternoon.
- Wandle Industrial Museum – waiving its entry fee. Special exhibition for Mitcham Heritage Day – Mitcham 25 linked with the 25th anniversary of Merton Heritage Service the display will highlight 25 aspects of Mitcham history.
- The Former Three Kings Pub – three separate exhibitions. History of the building when was a pub. Mitcham History Notes exhibition of History Nuggets prepared for Mitcham Cricket Green Community & Heritage. Old Mitchamians of Mitcham County Grammar school for boys exhibition with Old Boys present to talk about life in the school.
- Cricket Green School – open for visitors to view the only remaining part of the Hall Place on which the school is built – its 14th Century arch.
- Saints Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church – open for visits plus timed guided tours of the church including a visit to the Grotto in the parish garden.
- Canons House & Dovecote – learn about the Lottery funding which will restore the house and landscape over the next three years. Canons in View: an exhibition of photography and art by local primary children interpreting the area through art. Craft demonstrations and workshops throughout the day. Please note The Canons House will not be open.
- Mitcham Methodist Church – open for visits plus a performance by the church choir.
Evening concert at Mitcham Parish Church – Wessex Vocal Consort celebrates “Hardy and Heritage” in English Choral Music – 7.00pm. Tickets £10.00 from the Parish Church, or 020 8646 0666. Full details and poster here.
Mitcham Cricket Green Community & Heritage would like to thank all the volunteer participants for making this year’s Mitcham Heritage Day such a packed, vibrant and varied event.
For all the details Download the programme
Want more? Download our self-guided audio tour and take a tour at your leisure
Special thanks to
- Sarah Gould, Merton Council Heritage & Local Studies, for providing special exhibitions.
- Mitcham Golf Club for financial support
- M3 for financial support
- Mitcham Parish Church for financial support
- The Canons Parks for People project for financial support